Reading over the holidays
Holidays are an important time for rest, relaxation and spending time with family. It’s also a fabulous opportunity to read for pleasure.
Stuck for reading ideas, then take a look at this list:
- Access some online resources HERE.
- Access to the schools online resources HERE. (Password has been shared with the students or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com before the holiday break.)
- Visit and join your local public library. Find out if if they have an online collection that you can access through Overdrive. Overdrive is an app which gives you access to thousands of eBooks, audiobooks, and videos from your local library. Please note that you have to be a member of a library that has an Overdrive account in order to borrow items through the app.
- Go to the local bookstore to see what’s new and what’s on the latest bestseller list.
- Find a book that you can read together as a family.
- Watch a movie based on a book & read the book.
- Read newspapers and magazines.
- Find time to read everyday.
- Try a new author.
- See if you can find a book that is written by someone with the same name or initials as you and then read it.
- Read a graphic novel/comic.
- Swap a book with a friend or family member.
- Read about the place you are visiting.
- Try an audiobook. (Click HERE to register to SYNC – a free summer audiobook program for teens 13+.)
- Lists of books and different sites with suggestions of what you can read next can be found on the homepage of the library catalog: Primary or Secondary
- Start a new book series.
- Read a book that helps you learn a new skill.
- Add your suggestion for the LIS Library collection HERE.
- Recommend a book to a relative of another generation.
- Read the first page of five different books and read the one you like best.
- Find a new or different place to read and then email a photograph showing what & where you are reading to either: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We’ll display any photos we receive on the TVs in the library.
- Email us letting us know other reading activities you did over the holidays: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
In the words of Dr Seuss “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”