This week we have been applying our understanding of how to raise awareness by making thought provoking artworks. We created draft ideas before receiving feedback and choosing the most thought provoking idea to focus on for our assessment. We have also been developing our writing skills by revising, editing and giving feedback on our narrative about deforestation.
We have been learning how to solve open ended maths challenges and have been focussing on articulating our reasons for using a particular strategy- for example, using manipulatives and drawing out the problem. We have also started exploring the concept of VALUE in maths.
How to help at home:
- Look for examples of numbers at home that have value. Parents can guide with questions like: What is the value of the number? What does the value represent? (shoe size, oven, freezer, dashboard, scales)
- Ask your child to reflect on their chosen art medium and the process of creating their art piece/performance.
- Help extend your child’s inquiry by finding out more about their chosen art form and about other artists.
- Athletics Day 10:10 – Thursday the 21st of September
- Peace Parade 14:00 – Friday the 22nd of September
This week we are analysing facts, categorizing facts, identifying concepts and finding relationships between concepts to create generalisations or conclusions. The slideshow below shows images of how we recorded our thinking. We also deepened our understanding of the related concepts value and communication by creating thought provoking freeze frames. In order to provoke thought and raise awareness about deforestation, we are in the process of choosing our art medium for exhibition, writing narratives about deforestation and creating artworks in the style of Keith Haring.
We are continuing to develop our problem solving skills and growth mindset through a range of mathematical challenges.
How to help at home:
- Ask your child to talk you through the learning process guided by the images below.
- Visit the youcubed website and try some of these activities together.