This week we are analysing facts, categorizing facts, identifying concepts and finding relationships between concepts to create generalisations or conclusions. The slideshow below shows images of how the we recorded our thinking. We also deepened our understanding of the related concepts value and communication by creating thought provoking freeze frames. In order to provoke thought and raise awareness about deforestation, we are in the process of choosing our art medium for exhibition, writing narratives about deforestation and creating artworks in the style of Keith Haring.
We are continuing to develop our problem solving skills and growth mindset through a range of mathematical challenges.
How to help at home:
- Ask your child to talk you through the learning process guided by the images below.
- Visit the youcubed website and try some of these activities together.
- Here are some suggestions on how to help with reading at home. Reading advice for parents-pogtc6
Click here to see Sayuri’s video from Spotlight lunch.
Click here to see Kyra’s video from Spotlight Lunch.
This week we focused on the skill of investigating; choosing inquiry topics, developing questions and planning how we’re going to investigate. We further developed our observation skills and practiced interpreting art work both in the classroom and at the Luanda Art Space. We focused on the concept of perspective by looking at various interpretations of different artworks. We are learning how to develop criteria to assess an artwork that provokes thought and raise awareness.
Week of Inspirational Maths. Students in year 5 have been applying their maths skills while problem solving in collaborative group work. If you want to help your child become a better mathematician, please click here to see how you can help at home. See attached PDF of parent handout. iMaths Handout
Language. In language we are writing narratives and have revisited the writing process. We are currently in the drafting stage of the writing process where we are focussing on getting our initial ideas onto paper and following our plan.
How parents can help at home:
- Discuss ideas on how artists use the arts to raise awareness on particular issues. You may read books/articles, watch videos and talk to real artists. A sample video to start discussions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAy1zBtTbw
- Read stories and talk about the issues behind it. Help your child make connections to these issues.
- September 5: Back to School Night
- September 9: Jogathon