Our new unit is Where We Are in Place and Time. We are looking at the key concepts of causation, change and perspective and the related concepts of exploration, innovation and impact.
Click here to find the unit overview with the learning outcomes.
For the finding out phase of this unit we would like to speak to explorers in any field. If you have any personal or professional contacts please let us know.
Below are some photos of our provocations in the first week of our unit.
Our new unit is How The World Works. We are looking at the concepts of processes and change. Click here to find the unit overview.
For the finding out phase of this unit (the 4th of October until the 13th of October ) we need the following:
- earth scientists
- geologists (rock cycle, tectonics, erosion, carbon cycle)
Please contact your child’s class teacher if you can offer help or know of someone who can.
To support the learning at home:
- Find photos of natural changes in the environment of places you’re familiar with.
- Ask questions like: What natural changes are happening in Angola or in the countries where you lived? What has changed? What caused these changes? What is the impact of these changes?
See below for a slideshow of young earth scientists in action:
This week we focused on the skill of investigating; choosing inquiry topics, developing questions and planning how we’re going to investigate. We further developed our observation skills and practiced interpreting art work both in the classroom and at the Luanda Art Space. We focused on the concept of perspective by looking at various interpretations of different artworks. We are learning how to develop criteria to assess an artwork that provokes thought and raise awareness.
Week of Inspirational Maths. Students in year 5 have been applying their maths skills while problem solving in collaborative group work. If you want to help your child become a better mathematician, please click here to see how you can help at home. See attached PDF of parent handout. iMaths Handout
Language. In language we are writing narratives and have revisited the writing process. We are currently in the drafting stage of the writing process where we are focussing on getting our initial ideas onto paper and following our plan.
How parents can help at home:
- Discuss ideas on how artists use the arts to raise awareness on particular issues. You may read books/articles, watch videos and talk to real artists. A sample video to start discussions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAy1zBtTbw
- Read stories and talk about the issues behind it. Help your child make connections to these issues.
- September 5: Back to School Night
- September 9: Jogathon