This week year 4 students began tuning-in to our third unit, How We Express Ourselves. So far, students discussed and recorded their thoughts about What is music, they have responded to teacher questions, been introduced to the elements of music and have formulated their first set of questions to investigate. In music, they have started using Garage-band to explore the elements of music and have been asked to bring in a musical artifact or music piece from their culture to share.
HOW WE EXPRESS OURSELVES – Music extends our ability to create, reflect and express ourselves. – an inquiry into the ways in which we discover and express ideas, feelings, nature, culture, beliefs and values; the ways in which we reflect on, extend and enjoy our creativity; our appreciation of the aesthetic.
Key concepts: Form (What is it like?), Perspective (What are the different points of view?) and Reflection (How do we know?)
Related concepts: pattern, sound and interpretation
Lines of inquiry:
- Elements of music (form and pattern)
- Different methods of creating music (perspective and sound)
- Responses to music (reflection and interpretation)
The approaches to learning/skills the students will develop during this unit are:
Thinking skills: analysis – taking knowledge or ideas apart and seeing relationships.
Social skills: respecting others.
Communication skills: listening, non-verbal (visual and kinesthetic communication), presenting.
Learner profile attributes:
The Arts – Music strand
We are working collaboratively with Ms Betsy to ensure that the knowledge, skills and understandings gained in music classes will connect with the learning engagements in other curriculum areas within year 4 classes. Some of the learning outcomes included for music are:
- Students will explore the elements of music through instrumental, vocal and digital means.
- Students will explore vocal sounds, rhythms, instruments and timbres to communicate their ideas and feelings.
- Students will collaboratively create a musical sequence using known musical elements.
Our language links will include students reflecting on and communicating their reactions to music using musical vocabulary and expressions; Students listening to, reading and writing poems and rhymes; Students developing their knowledge of word choice and figurative language to communicate ideas, feelings and opinions.
Our mathematics links will focus on Pattern and Function including understanding that patterns can be found in numbers, understand inverse relationships, represent rules for patterns and describe patterns in numbers in a variety of ways.
Information and communication technology (ICT)
– Students will understand that ICT will provide students with:
- Opportunities to create and innovate using digital platforms (Garage-band).
- Collaborate by actively participating in creating and sharing knowledge.
- A range of tools to store, organize and present learning.
If you have, or know of anyone who has some expertise connected to our How We Express Ourselves unit, please let us know! We would love to have more guest speakers to share their knowledge, skills, learning and experiences with our students.
We look forward to hearing about the action your children may take as a result of the learning in this unit.