Over the past 6 weeks year 4 have been inquiring into the transdisciplinary theme of How We Express Ourselves, inquiring into how Music extends our ability to create, reflect and express ourselves.
Some of the learning engagements that have particularly supported our inquiry include;
- We discussed, ‘What is music?’ and found out that silence could also be music.
- We read non-fiction texts and viewed video clips of different types of music and instruments being played.
- We learned about the elements of music through listening to a variety of music pieces, playing sound and response games in groups, learning a song about the Elements of music and creating group compositions using instruments and featuring the elements of music.
- We viewed presentations and had a guest cellist, Mr Alain and two of our year 4 students share a cello and violin performance with us.
- We learned about making STOMPS. We teamed up with classes and made stomps using classroom materials. Then, we made our own stomp teams and collaborated to create a stomp piece using our body parts and every day materials.
- We created compositions using the digital music creator GarageBand.
- We viewed and listened to ‘Peter and the wolf’ and recounted the story using illustrations and captions.
- We listened to music and responded to how the music made us feel using patterns, colours and images.
- We learned different styles of poetry and made connections between describing how music makes us feel and choosing specific words to describe an emotion or create an image.
- We developed our presentation skills and collaborated to present our learning at the year 4 assembly.
- Students have been wrapping up their summative assessments this past week.
In Math students developed their understanding of pattern and function and made links to musical beats and rhythms, repetition, order and sequences.
Please discuss this unit with your child and ask them about any action they have taken. Please share and comment below if your child has talked about or done anything differently over the last few weeks as a result of their learning in this unit.